Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Back At it!

So it's been a while since my last entry. Remodeled the bathroom took about 5 weeks no training and I decided to go in and start my CX season Cold. Lets just say thatday was a huge failure in that I sprained my ankle and spent 2 weeks off the bikethen another 3 weeks trying to get some resemblance of fitness.

My toe dipping in the waters was at LARPD on Oct 25th which wasn't a huge effort on my part as I wanted to see just how out of shape. I really wasn't in that bad of shape and just enjoyed getting my skillz back. not really sure where I placed but it's not worth mentioning I'm sure. NCNCA Series #3 & #4 So back at it! John C, David K and I decided to make a weekend of CX racing and decided to do #3 & #4 of the NCNCA cross series.
Friday we head up to Kings Beach to Stay at Daves parentscabin to make easy of travel that weekend. First up was Reno "Sagebrush" series which was NCNCA #3 of the Series. Having been off the bike for awhile and working my butt off trying to get something back of my fitness after a delayed period due to remodeling and eventual sprain. I decided to see if I had anything and entered Mens CatC and find out if those Spin classes were helping.


Mens C
Field 20ish
Pace: Cyclocross, IT'S HARD BABY!
Avg HR 169 Peak 213!
Place 5th

So having resolved to the fact that I don't have fitness I just decided to having some fun with this so I signed up in the C race. Interesting course mixture of desert sand, sagebrush, lawn, and volleyball pits. There was a killer run-up with high barriers and set on the grass section. The Grass was pretty deep and a real leg sapper.

Lining up I heard the locals saying this was the biggest turnout they had seen, obviously benefiting from being part of a series. Young 20 something lining up next to me tells me it's his first CX race ever. Found that hard to believe after his start bang he was gone while I was struggling to clip in. Damn there goes that.
So the usual sorting out at the beginning of the race. I moved up into the top 1/3of the group. Dang I forgot how freaking aerobic CX is! I'm in the top 8 moving upinto the top 6. The "Kid' was gone never to be seen, a couple of locals not far behindhim so I was left to my devices with what would be the 4 & 6th place guys. Some how I blew out a bit 3rd time up the run up and lost the 4th place guy and was left fighting for 5th. The guy I was racing 5th for was looking strong on the rolly section, but trouble with his gravitational allotment on the run up.
So after dicing with him on the second to last lap. I decided to gas it going up and over the run up and didn't let off. At that point the knife was twisted in his gut and looked as though he decided to hold his 6th position.
All the while mister 6th and I were battling I kept my eye up the road at Mr. 4th. He just seemed to keep out of range of Me. Every time I put on some pressure and just get in reach, he'd speed up to remain out of reach. Good move on his part as the effort to try and catch him left me in a slump when I got to him. I finished 7 sec behind 4th and 12secs behind 3rd.
Shoulda woulda coulda.
The start really sucked as I missed my clip in for the full on gallop. But hey that's racing and I've got to work on all the skills.

No comments: